The Courtauld: Hidden Treasure

 Frankly, I am not very exploratory with my tastes in art galleries. When I’m in the mood for an exhibition, my default is the National Gallery or the Portrait Gallery. Last Sunday, however, I thought I’d branch out a bit- not too far of course- and take a trip to the Courtauld Institute.

On a stunning day in London, Somerset House is a beacon of beautiful Neoclassical architecture. Although there are temporary exhibitions in the Courtauld, I personally felt their main collection was far more compelling. They have pieces I had no idea were so accessible, so close to where I live. They boast ownership of some of the most renowned Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works including –but not limited to- Van Gogh’s Self Portrait With Bandaged Ear (1853), Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere (1882) and Cezanne's The Card Players (1892).

Finally seeing Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergere in person
I was so inspired by the other visitors to the gallery, because of their enraptured way of viewing the art. I think you don't really see this in larger galleries because people- particularly Londoners- have often been there before. In the Courtauld, however, I got the impression everyone was thinking 'wow, this has been under my nose this whole time!' Well, at least, I know I was.

Here I sketched some of the other visitors, trying to convey the peace we feel when viewing beloved pieces of art...
Woman in front of Manet's The Banks of the Siene at Argentuil
Woman in front of Van Gogh's Self Portrait with Bandaged Ear
Man in front of Botticelli's The Trinity With Saints 
I can't believe it has taken me this long to visit the Courtauld, and I am so glad I did. Because it is quite small, you are able to really take your time viewing everything, moving slowly from the Renaissance to the 1900s, it seems almost more digestible this way. It has become on of my new favourite go-to galleries in London...




No comments:

Post a Comment

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com